Oct 16, 2010

Work Ethic

Anna at Pleasant View Schoolhouse has begun blogging again. Her blog is like little vignettes of inspiration for me. For example, she recently quoted the following:

"There was something rather satisfying, she found, in scrubbing the tiles of the
kitchen floor. The clean, sweet-smelling wetness, which grew as she retreated
backwards from it on her knees, delighted her, and although she doubted if
anyone would ever notice the result of her labors, she was content with her
small reward of a job well done."

--Miss Read, No Holly For Miss Quinn

This quotation is a perfect example for what I'm trying to instill in my son . . . and in myself. I feel like our society has mostly abandoned doing a good job for the sake of doing a good job. In doing so, we've lost a very important attitude that is affecting all areas of life.

It seems that in order to do a job well and feel this satisfaction when it is done might require deliberately slowing our lives down in other areas. For some, that is. For others, treating a task as a skill to be savored and done for one's satisfaction as well as a way to bless others is NOT being done because too much of our time is spent on "entertainment."

That would be me. It is SO easy to kill an hour wandering around the interenet, or two hours on a DVD in the evening.

I am going to make it a point to be "in" my tasks today and to enjoy them during--and after.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That IS hard, enjoying a task for a job well done. Why is it so hard for us to stop and smell the flowers? Or the clean floor?

Something for me to think about too...

Roxanne said...

Lexi--Interesting, isn't it?

This thought has been on my mind a lot lately. . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails