Nov 12, 2010

1955 Cran-Apple Pie recipe

(The picture at right is NOT a picture of the pie I made. I had to borrow it from another blog. It does, however, look like the one I made!)

Today is my husband's birthday. For 15 days, he will be OLDER than I am. I make it a point to thoroughly enjoy every minute of those days, reminding him often of how he's over-the-hill and I'm not. And then day 16 comes.

Anyway, today's his birthday.

I asked him what special food he wanted me to make. His answer? Pie. Always pie. He doesn't really like cream pies (I've never understood that), and he really prefers berry pies. Unfortunately, there are no fresh berries to be had in November. He's not into "normal" pies, anyway (as attested to by THIS pie that I made several months ago, at his request). Finally, he said, "I want an apple pie, but with something to take away all that sweetness. I know, how about apple pie with cranberries?"

I dashed over to my bookshelf and pulled out my "Gem of a Cookbook" from 1955. Sure enough, there was a recipe for Cran-Apple Pie. It, of course, is delicious! Other pie recipes that I saw on the Internet (when I was looking for a picture to steal, I mean, borrow), had cinnamon and other additions. This pie is purely cranberries, apples, and sugar.

For your drooling pleasure:

Cran-Apple Pie

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 T cornstartch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C corn syrup (I substituted 1 cup of sugar)
1/4 cup water
2 cups washed cranberries
1 1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
2 T butter
1 1/2 C chopped, pared, cored apples (I used McIntosh)
2 pie crusts

In saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt; gradually add corn syrup, water. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens slightly and boils. Add cranberries; cook till skins break. Add orange rind, butter; cool. Add apples; pour into lined pie plate. Cover with top crust.

Bake at 425 for 40-50 minutes or until filling is tender, crust nicely browned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very Happy Birthday to your groom. My absolute favorite is pie,of any kind. I must show my family this posting to prove that I'm not the only one who has Birthday Pie. So...let them eat cake, ;)

Best to you and yours,
Elise

Roxanne said...

Elise--Thank you! I told my husband that you, too, are a Birthday Pie person. He was not surprised. He thinks EVERYONE should be LOL!

Packrat said...

Happy Birthday, L! I hope you had a really nice day.

We do birthday pies, too. Last Friday was John's birthday. (November is a busy month!) Our daughter made him a pecan pie and drove all the way here to deliver it.

Packrat said...

Silly me! I just looked at the date you posted. L and John have the same birthday! John turned 59, though, so he has a few years on L.

Related Posts with Thumbnails