Dec 16, 2010

Are you a member of the "I Hate Tights" club?

In my quest to be warm, I have upgraded my wardrobe a bit this winter. I have purchased nice, thick, tights. They're warm and cozy and can be worn with pants or skirts/dresses. I've got them in black and brown. (Boring, but I had to start somewhere.) Then I discovered something: I hate them.

I am 5'4" which is on the line between regular and petite. Back in my thin days, I lived in Florida and didn't wear tights. Now I'm decidedly NOT thin and tights are a nightmare! They're a one size deal which means that there's always more material than leg for me. I don't have much of a rear (I may have been born without one), so that means there's not much help to keep the tights up in that department. The part, though, that really gets my tights in a wad is, well, that my tights get into a wad! Somehow the feet direction don't match by the time you get to the thighs and they're all twisted and uncomfortable.

This morning I decided to take action. Surely there must be a way to turn tights into thigh-highs. I did a search and came upon this tutorial: How to Stockings from Tights. On top of that find, I discovered that I'm enjoying the rest of her blog. The title alone is inspiring--Down With Clutter.

I WILL be making some stockings. My concern is they won't stay up, so I may end up going the garter direction if I have to. But only if I have to!

(ETA: I dashed off after posting this to remodel my brown tights--I sacrificed them to this experiment. Well, they don't stay up if you just turn and sew them. I'm going to add some elastic and see if that helps. My upper legs are bare which is a little discomfitting. It was nice, however, not having to do the full adjustment when I visited the powder room!)



6 comments:

M said...

I used to wear tights as a kid, but never tried them now that I'm older. I hate nylons, they never fit and can never find stockings in my size, so alas....I stick to nylons.

Lorie B said...

I have had some of the same struggles...and I solved it by wearing 'bike' shorts over my tights. I am taller (around 5'8") and my tights always wanted to head south and twist as I walked. The shorts stopped that, and I found the added bonus was they kept my backside a bit warmer in cold weather. Worked a little like a girdle as well, kept things in place. Best of luck. I don't like thigh highs, for my thighs are bare and then cold...

Anonymous said...

I liked tights as a little girl. I'm not too fond of the "decorater" tights on display nowadays. I have some plain tights in black but they are pretty much just like pantyhose, which I think were invented by satan as a toture device.

Packrat said...

I hated tights as a little girl, but they did help keep my legs warm. (And, they offered some modesty.) I loved tights in the late 60's and early 70's, because they came in all colors and textures (and lasted longer than panty hose).

Now, I hate tights and panty hose. Period. They don't fit. I'm short and heavy. When I "size up", the legs get longer and longer, but nothing on the hose or tights gets bigger around.

If you want something comfy to wear under slacks, check at Walmart. There are these lovely light weight and warm "long johns" that are silky on the outside and cotton knit on the inside. (Other stores sell similar ones, but they are at least twice as expensive.) I have basic white ones, but I've seen pink and black, too.

HappyMom said...

I too hate tights and nylons. Today, however, I discovered how well leggings work under long skirts while wearing long boots! I know they wouldn't work with shorter shoes, but if you're wearing boots and a skirt where you can't see the leggings, they are great!! And they stay up!

K Quinn said...

Oh I thought I was alone! I HATE tights! I have some lovely wool ones too. But they all itch me like the dickens. I only wear knee highs. This is okay because all my skirts and dresses are long. But I'm a pants girl anyway.I have some boot thingys that aren't quite as high as thigh highs but well past the knee. I would like them better if they didn't slide down so much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails