Jan 5, 2012

Cooking From the Pantry: 2012 Edition

Source
I began this blog in 2008.  My subject was cooking from my pantry with just a few purchases to keep us going.  HERE is where you can read about that.

With the new year I've decided to shop in my own on-site markets again to save money and to use up the stock.  This time, however, I'm going to change a few things.



  1. I will purchase raw veggies for salads, apples, bananas, and milk each week.
  2. I will ALSO take advantage of truly useful loss leaders at the two stores I frequent most.  Just the truly useful ones, though.
  3. I'm going to plan in the classic frugal meals (eg beans) right from the beginning rather than waiting until the last several days.  My dh loves those kinds of meals, but I feel deprived.
  4. I'm going to list my daily stock usage in a way that will give you opportunity to guess what meals I've come up with using those ingredients.  I'm doing this for two reasons:  Because it's fun and because you might make suggestions that I hadn't thought of for that particular food combination!
I will begin tomorrow and will go through February.  Tomorrow's post will list my meals and my grocery totals.  If you're up for some guessing games, come and see what you make of my un-named menus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the use up what's in the pantry thing too. I don't usually do meatless main dishes because George feels deprived. Tammy's Recipes has a great section on meatless meals, many of which feature beans and everything looks SO yummy:

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/taxonomy/term/45/9

I used her idea of serving layers of beans, rice and cheese in a casserole and it was FANTASTIC -- it's the one meatless dish my husband feels like he is getting a filling meal.

Roxanne said...

Trixie--Thanks for the link! Meatless meals definitely stretch the budget. My dh and ds would be fine with that. I'M the carnivore around here. Except for seafood. They're the fans and I won't touch it with a 10-foot ple.

Related Posts with Thumbnails