Mar 20, 2009

Phase 2: Spring Cleaning My Way


I have been SO waiting for this phase! I "fall cleaned" just before Thanksgiving and loved it.





Here's my plan:
  • Have a stack of cleaning cloths ready to go. I just got mine at Costco per Copperswife's suggestion. Love them!
  • Have a lovely pan in which to put the cleaner. Use a cleaner with lots of lovely scent. My favorite is lemon. My second favorite is Lavender. The third would be vanilla. Mmmmm. Aromatherapy Cleaning.
  • Use HOT water.
  • Assemble the other cleaning tools. Mine are my broom, ceiling duster broom, wall edge broom, duster, and vacuum.
  • Assemble other cleaners like window cleaner, disinfectant, etc. HERE are my recipes.

The order of things as I do it:

  • Stand at the door and envision the result. Take a picture just in case you want to use it on your blog.
  • Remove small things from your room. Remove garbage cans, footstools, pillows, anything that isn't furniture. Set them outside of the room out of your way. Put away anything that is out of place but belongs in that room.
  • Throw away trash.
  • Take anything out that can be washed in the kitchen sink, dishwasher or washing machine.
  • Clean the cobwebs from the ceiling and wall.
  • Dust furniture (don't forget legs and rails).
  • Pull furniture away from wall.
  • Pull dust and debris away from the wall edge.
  • Vacuum upholstery (lift cushions, please).
  • Vacuum or sweep floor.
  • Now for that lovely bucket with the aroma-cleaning water. Starting at the top (eg top edge of doors) and work your way down and around the room wiping around door handles, light switches, baseboards, etc. Don't forget the trim around the doors and windows. I have shutters on some of my windows. Those are part of the "trim."
  • If you have uncarpeted floors, wipe where the baseboard and flooring meet.
  • Mop whole floor if appropriate.
  • Polish furniture with your favorite polish, or use my recipe.
  • Clean mirrors and the inside glass of the windows.
  • Put everything back.
  • Make sure to stop and admire the look and feel of this spring-cleaned room!

I am working my way through the house in two weeks. Here is my schedule. I'll post pictures as I go.

Week 1:

  • Monday--"Club room"
  • Tuesday--"Seating Area"
  • Wednesday--Den
  • Thursday--Office
  • Friday--Powder room and small hall

Week 2:

  • Monday--Upstairs bathroom, landing, and stairs
  • Tuesday--Our bedroom
  • Wednesday--Son's bedroom
  • Thursday--Laundry room
  • Friday--Kitchen

Anyone with me for a two week cleaning spree? Divide your house into 10 areas and let me know. I'll list anyone who is committing to this task on the sidebar.

C'mon--I Double-Dog Dare you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - I'll join - though my spring cleaning will have to be modified somewhat. (I used to spring clean faithfully - what happened?? lol)
I'm still in the decluttering stage and run a home daycare. So I will be doing this around little ones and probably with their help, but I'm game for it.

Roxanne said...

Yay! We'll get this DONE!

I have one little one and I deem him capable of doing the low stuff LOL. As you know, little ones love to "help."

The reason I like how I do spring cleaning is that I do only ONE area a day. Just one.

I did "Fall Cleaning" just before Thanksgiving last year and I hadn't decluttered yet. Pulling things out and getting all the dust bunnies under control is very motivating as you continue the decluttering process.

I'm glad you're with me!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to give it a try, too. I've devided my apartment into six areas.

Andrea

Roxanne said...

Andrea--good for you!

Please comment about your progress and I'll cheer you on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails