Nov 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Plans

Since I'm in the US, we do a November Thanksgiving Day. Our plans are pretty low-key compared to others, but compared to what we had PLANNED on doing, we're about to party.

Before we knew that my MIL was going to come and live with us (it happened in about 3 days time), we were going to do something unusual. We didn't know what, yet, but in the past we've:

  • Helped at a soup kitchen
  • Made BBQ (as in southern-style with smoked meat and sauce)
  • Gone to a Chinese restaurant
  • and spent the holiday at a hotel in Mystic, CT

Now that she is here, we want to make it more of a traditional family time. After dinner we'll crack out the Christmas CDs and kick-off the Christmas season. We will NOT venture forth from our house for Black Friday, though. I went one year and I still have flashbacks.

I don't want to talk about it.

So, for our "traditional" take on Thanksgiving, here's the menu:

Simple. I like simple. Is anyone else blogging about their menu? I'll come by and check and see if I need to revise my plans. . .

2 comments:

FarmMom said...

I probably won't get to the blogging about my Thanksgiving on my site, but my menu is usually simple, too. This year:

Last year's Turkey that was STILL in our freezer (gift from hubby's workplace!) hoping it's not freezer burned!

Spaghetti Squash

Sweet Potatoes (either roasted or mashed - STILL undecided!)

Green Bean Casserole (kids insisted)

Homemade Cranberry Sauce (a first time recipe for me)

Bread Rolls (baked from frozen)

Homemade Pumpkin Pie (thanks to dd)
with Homemade Whipped Cream

It will only be the 6 of us this year. Every Thanksgiving evening our family tradition is to watch White Christmas with Bing Crosby and drink our First Egg Nog of the season. Our last Egg Nog will come on New Year's Day.

My favorite Thanksgiving was the year we had NO money. Friends had been invited to dinner long before we discovered our lack of funds for a decent meal. We decided the theme for the eve would be "Eat from the Bounty!" Each guest (including our family) was to prepare a dish from whatever they had the most of in the pantry. It was so ecclectic and fun that year! We had refried beans that year for Thanksgiving. We were truly thankful for Father's Provision!!

Roxanne said...

FarmMom--Thanks for sharing your menu and memories. Thanks to you I called my husband so that he could pick up some eggnog on the way home from work!

I worked on the pies and the mac and cheese today. Tomorrow I'll prep the rest.

THEN, later in the afternoon we're going to watch "White Christmas!!"

Related Posts with Thumbnails