Sep 11, 2010

Chili Perfection?



I don't know. Perhaps not "perfection," but pretty darn close!

I detest red kidney beans. I don't like how you have to snap through the skin to get to the innards. I love chili, however. Because of my red kidney bean-aversion, I always make chili without beans. My husband is not amused about that.

After my Ground Beef Cook-a-Thon, I decided to do a quick chili combo. I happened to have a can of white kidney beans in the pantry because I have decided that they are better than garbanzo beans for making hummus. I apparently have issues with all sorts of beans.

Anyway, I threw some things together and it came out DARN good. Here's the recipe if you're so inclined:

Chili Perfection

  • 1 pound ground beef (or 1 bag Ground Beef Mix)
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped (unless using mix)
  • 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 can of water
  • 1 15 1/2 ounce can WHITE kidney beans
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 T onion powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp. dried mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne

Brown beef and onions (or use Mix). Add remaining ingredients. Heat through. Adjust seasonings.

5 comments:

Packrat said...

Sounds easy and good.

I don't like kidney beans much either. You don't get Western Family brand where you are, but I love their canned chili beans. No meat, just beans in sauce. Quite tasty and fairly inexpensive when purchased on sale.

Anyway, for chili I use pinto beans (either home cooked from dry or store-bought canned) or a mixture of small red beans and pinto beans. Once in a while I'll use white or navy beans.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--My husband would LOVE your chili! He's a bean person . . . I'm going to have to learn to be.

Unknown said...

YUM!!!! I love chili. No one here eats beans though, except me. I actually don't use them at all in my chili. But I do have a secret ingredient or two...pumpkin puree and a bit of cocoa powder.

Anonymous said...

Chili without beans?! There is such a thing? I also had no idea there were white kidney beans. They would probably be very good.

I love beans. Growing up we used to eat them all the time; one of my first chores was picking over a quart of navy beans.

Roxanne said...

Lexi--I thought I had asked this question already! I'm glad I came and checked--is your chili recipe on your cooking blog? Link, please?

Trixie--I know, I know. I'm strange. My husband and son LOVE all types of beans.

The white beans are definitely more mild. If you're used to the beans having their own personalities, the white ones might not do the job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails