Mar 10, 2011

Desperation: The Mother of Invention

Yesterday I took my son to the local dental hygiene school to have sealants put on his permanent molars. We don't have insurance, so we make liberal use of the dental school. The great part is the cost ($21 for two cleanings and 2 sets of X-rays the last time we went), and the thorough job the students do--they're being graded!

The downside is that all that attention to detail and waiting for the instructors to check on things takes a VERY long time. Two to three hours!

When I made the appointment for the sealants, I (silly me) thought we'd be in and out of there in under an hour. We were not. After 2 1/2 hours, they finally finished and we went off to do errands. (The reward for my son being extremely cooperative was getting to go to a new library. Woo hoo!)

We didn't get home until almost 6pm. My supper plans were all off, and I didn't want to order pizza. I decided to try to slap something together out of my pantry. If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that cooking is NOT my forte. This time, however, the results actually tasted good! (Cue Hallelujah Chorus).

I thought I'd share my "recipe" with you:

Roxanne's Pantry Slap Together Stuff (Good name, huh?)

Ingredients:

Leftover rice (We had about 1 1/2 cups of yellow rice left over from the night before.)
2 cups Ground Beef Mix (Already frozen)
1 large can of Progresso Hearty Tomato Soup
(Next time I'm going to use mild salsa which I always have on the shelf.)
1 16 oz. can of refried BLACK beans (This, my friends, is what pulled it all together.)
Enough water to make a thick soup consistency
Shredded cheese
Tortillas

To make: Dump all together and heat. Put chips in the bottom of the bowl, ladle on the THICK mixture, top with the cheese. Pat self on back.

The secret ingredient to my success:


4 comments:

Mary said...

Hey, that's cool!

Roxanne said...

Mary--Pretty good coming from me, eh?

Are you still blogging (privately)? Can I get an invite, pretty please??

Packrat said...

Sounds yummy. Canned soup with leftovers dumped in works great.

Roxanne said...

Packrat--It's because they're creamy, isn't it? There's just something about that thick texture that makes everything taste better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails