Oct 22, 2010

Vintage House Plans: The "Singlyn" & The "Doublyn"

I've been meaning to get back to this book for ages. I posted about it HERE. It was published in 1919 and was a catalog of modular homes. All the parts were built back at a factory and then shipped to the building site for assembly. Everything, inside and out, could be chosen from the catalog.

I featured "The House of Your Dreams" from the catalog in THIS post. I think I've seen a house similar to it in a small town near where I live. That was for the "rich folks," though, for around $3000.

In another section of the catalog I found plans for something that my husband and I have discussed for years: Having a house plan that could be built in stages. The first phase could be lived in until enough money became available to build the next phase enabling the home to be finished debt-free.

Sterling called this particular plan their "Singlyn." It's pretty small, but the idea totally appeals to me. (Click on the picture to enlarge.)



THEN, when you're ready, you could build the rest (called The "Doublyn" and have the total package:



Another way this could be accomplished is to build a two-story house and finish the first floor to live in until funds were available to complete the second floor interior. I don't think that would have the same financial impact as building half at a time, though. Besides, I'm really wanting a ONE story house.

My reasons for that will be another post as I'm "feelin' the poll love." I haven't had a poll in a long time, and I'm curious how others feel about a house's number of stories. Stay tuned to vote!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the vintage house plans. They are very modest by today's standards, but I like the simplicity of them. Who says you need so many rooms anyway?

My first house was like this only in a 2 story form. It was a plain square. First floor contained the Livingroom, diningroom and kitchen. 2nd floor contained 2 bedrooms and a bath.

My husband's parents did just what you mentioned about living in only a partially finsihed house. They bought a cape cod. Only the first floor was finished. They finshed up upstairs when my husband was in grade school and then the basement when he was a senior in highschool. They also built a garage and then later a breeze way. It was so encouraging to see how they saved, planned and looked forward to each project. Somehow that just seems so much more fitting than starting with a huge loan and the "perfect" house right off the bat. What do you have to look forward to over the years if you start out eyeball deep in dept? An even bigger mortgage for an even better house?

Roxanne said...

Trixie--That is SO cool! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

This absolutely sums up what we're talking about:

"Somehow that just seems so much more fitting than starting with a huge loan and the "perfect" house right off the bat. What do you have to look forward to over the years if you start out eyeball deep in dept? An even bigger mortgage for an even better house?"

Thank you for sharing your husband's story.

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I note that the Singlyn does not have a bathroom - not even a half bath! I think I would want a bathroom in the first phase and not have to wait until phase two. An outdoor bath may work on a large lot with no neighbors, but in the city or suburbs w/ small lots, well, let's just say the neighbors would not be pleased (and don't even ask about the code inspectors).

Related Posts with Thumbnails